Help! There’s a chocolate shortage!
I’m not kidding, you guys. I just saw this article and I’m freaking out! I don’t want this to happen. How can we stop this from happening? Now I feel really awful about using so much chocolate all the time. This is my fault!
And this post isn’t helping, either. I swear I made these before I learned about the shortage. But I can see that really, using three times the amount of chocolate that I need to in a recipe might be going too far. But isn’t that what makes baking fun?
These brownies are very fudgy, of course. And they have chocolate chunks in them. And there’s a layer of chocolate on top. Do I feel guilty? Not because of the decadence. Heck no! Just because of the aforementioned shortage and the possible blame that lies at my door.
The middle layer isn’t exactly a cheesecake. It’s more reminiscent of a cheese filling that you might find in a coffee cake or breakfast pastry. Basically, it’s just cream cheese and sugar. When it bakes up, the consistency is similar to caramel. It’s got a great tang which contrasts perfectly with all of the chocolate.
The brownies, as you can see, are fudgy in the extreme. The chocolate chunks push them over the edge a bit, but in the best way. I love the fact that stores are now selling chocolate chunks. No more chopping chocolate with a knife! Well, not as much of it, anyway.
As long as there’s chocolate, I’ll be eating it, shortage or not. Just call me the grasshopper that sang all summer! Or is it ate? Something with an ant saving food, learning a lesson, blah blah blah. That’s not me, guys. Feast while the going is good!
Triple Chocolate Cheese-Filled Brownies
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup chocolate chunks
8 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used low-fat)
1 cup sugar
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line an 8 X 8 pan with foil and spray it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the cocoa into the melted butter until it dissolves. Add the sugar and stir again. When the sugar is incorporated, mix in the vanilla and eggs. Add the salt and flour, mixing until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes until nearly but not quite done.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar together until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the brownies. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges turn golden and the middle is set.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth, and then spread the chocolate carefully over the cheese filling.
- Refrigerate the brownies for 30-45 minutes until set. Cut into squares with a sharp knife. Store in an airtight container. I prefer mine chilled, but that's up to you!