Why, oh why did this take me so long?
Last week I was driving around and suddenly it occurred to me that I just don’t bake with Snickers very much. And why? No good reason! Seriously, folks. What is wrong with me?
So to make up for this gross error in judgment, here’s a whopper. It’s a peanut butter blondie filled with Snickers and peanuts. It doesn’t get any better than this for you lovers of all things chewy, caramel, peanut, and chocolate. And it’s all made in just one bowl, no mixer involved!
As I write this, I’m on the couch with some kind of summer cold from hell. It’s affecting everything, from my stomach to my limbs to my sinuses. It’s kind of like a light flu. But if you think I’m complaining, think again. I love being sick, because then Kenny takes the kids out of the house and I get to watch Netflix in bed.
I’m definitely on the lookout for new shows to get addicted to, so if you have recommendations, fire away. And yes, I’ve seen Orange is the New Black. No, I didn’t like the latest season. Slow, slow, slow. I miss Vee. And all the fighting.
The problem with so many TV shows is that they start off amazing and then somewhere between seasons three and seventeen, they turn bad. The writing is less snappy, the characters change, the plot lines get recycled. And when the guy and girl finally do get together, they have to break up a million times to keep the show going or else have a baby, which kills the show for good.
Don’t get me wrong. I realize how hard it is to be consistently creative. Jeez, I’m a food blogger. I can never bake the same thing twice, and those of us who do this for any length of time are in constant creation mode. I’m not sure if anyone else is afraid that the ideas will one day run dry, but I certainly wonder.
But that day hasn’t come yet, my friends. These Snickers peanut blondies are absolute proof. The base is a simple blondie with peanut butter subbed in for some of the butter. Some Snickers bites and salted peanuts later, poof! A truly memorable and easy bar.
If you’ll excuse me, I have to hop off to replenish my Kleenex supply. But I’ll be eating these when I feel better, and that’s a promise. In the meantime, I need shows to watch. Recommend away!
1 and 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (I used Jif Natural)
1 teaspoons vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Snickers bites
1/2 cup salted peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line an 8 x 8 pan with foil, leaving enough to overhang the sides, and coat in cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Take a larger bowl and mix the brown sugar, melted butter, peanut butter, eggs and vanilla until just blended. Add the dry ingredients gradually and mix until incorporated. Fold in the Snickers bites and salted peanuts.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges are browned. The middle might jiggle slightly, but it will harden as the bars cool. Do not overbake. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.