Welcome to day two of my browned butter week! If you missed day one, check out these browned butter toffee cinnamon rolls. They’re pretty fetch.
Yes, I just used slang from somewhere in the 90s. Don’t hate. Perhaps these browned butter M & M blondies will get you back on my side?
In a few days, Passover begins, and if you aren’t really familiar, it’s like the biggest holiday you can think of on steroids. The food is different, you have to use different dishes, and the spring cleaning involved is insane. Example: me behind the fridge with a toothbrush and a lot of cleaning fluid.
For those of you who are looking for Passover dessert recipes, check out my Passover edition category on this blog. And if you’d like more, I’ll be posting three more dessert recipes for the holiday next week! They have no flour and they actually taste really good. So stay tuned!
But while I’m immersed in prepping for this insane holiday, I am not very fun to talk to. It’s one too many nights cleaning out all my cabinets (which yes, are very messy) and of convincing my hoarder son that no, he really doesn’t need to keep every cereal box prize he’s ever broken. Maybe just keep the ones that work? If that actually ever happens?
These blondies will keep me sane, that’s for sure. They’re made with browned butter, of course. And all the other ingredients get mixed in by hand. It’s pretty easy! And what could be better than adding M & Ms? That’s always a good decision.
In case you’re wondering what all this browned butter hoopla is since you’ve never made browned butter, you need to try it. It’s pretty easy, requires no special equipment, and tastes like angels are singing. That’s by itself. When you add browned butter as an ingredient to anything, the entire baked good turns into something that somehow has stayed legal in this country.
As I scramble to get ready for Passover and prep some wonderful treats for you next week, enjoy the rest of browned butter week here on JAB. And if you’ve never browned butter, try it. It’s a lot easier than cooking for an eight-day holiday that has weird food rules!
Browned Butter M & M Blondies
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1 cup mini M & Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line an 8-in. square pan with foil, leaving enough to hang over the sides, and coat with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Turn the heat down to medium-low and continue to let it cook, swirling the butter often, until it becomes golden in color and fragrant (about 10-12 minutes). Remove from the heat.
- Mix the browned butter with both sugars, stirring until smooth. Add the egg, vanilla and lemon juice, stirring again. Add the dry ingredients and mix until everything is incorporated. Fold in the M & Ms.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and even out the top with a spaturla. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Do not overbake.
- Cut into squares and serve. Store in an airtight container.