Warning: getimagesize(/home/justab8/public_html/wp-content/uploadshttps://justaboutbaked.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/dough2-e1421758799817.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/justab8/public_html/wp-content/themes/Total/framework/classes/image-resize.php on line 121
Yeah, yeah. There’s been a lot of peanut butter in these here parts recently.
It’s hard to resist always baking your favorite thing. Like when my brother bakes, he chooses lemon-based desserts because that’s his favorite. And when my husband bakes…nope, just kidding. That never happens.
Have you noticed that cravings for sweet or salty foods are highly divided by gender? Now, don’t go crazy on me for gender stereotyping because I do know plenty of women who’d rather down a bag of chips than a Snickers bar. But in my informal studies of human behavior, I have noticed that women lean toward sugar far more often than men, particularly when it comes to chocolate. Which might explain why my husband doesn’t bake.
I was kind of shocked to learn recently that peanut butter-based desserts are considered a male craving out there in the void that is the Internet. Try it! Look up “dessert” and “manly,” and you’ll see peanut butter everywhere. And bacon.
Gotta tell you, I really resent that. Peanut butter and chocolate is the best taste combo ever, and I haven’t noticed that it’s a particularly male thing. That said, when I brought these cookie dough squares out in the world to share, a lot of men who never say much about my baking suddenly were full of praise.
Mind you, the women were equally vocal. Heck, even I was vocal. How could I not be? The base is peanut butter cookie dough filled with mini peanut butter cups, all topped off with a thick peanut butter chocolate fudge layer. I even had compliments coming in many days later. These things stick with you. In a good way!
It doesn’t matter what gender you identify with. These cookie dough squares are quite the bomb, and will disappear in seconds whenever you make them. Peanut butter lovers of the world, unite!
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the peanut butter and vanilla and mix until combined. Beat in the flour and condensed milk until just incorporated. Fold in the chopped peanut butter cups.
- Line an 8 x 8 square pan with foil, leaving enough to hang over the sides. Press the cookie dough into the pan evenly.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the condensed milk, milk chocolate chips and peanut butter chips for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Pour the fudge mixture over the peanut butter cookie dough.
- Chill for 2 hours until firm.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into small squares. Store in an airtight container.