I’m in love with Captain Hook.
Well, not love, exactly. But if you watch the series Once Upon a Time, which I’ve been binge-watching with Kenny on Netflix, you’re aware that their version of Hook is a heckuva lot sexier than the guy from the Disney movie. I mean, there’s no comparison.
If you have no idea what I’m talking about, think Westley from The Princess Bride. This Hook is very similar, but with a bad guy streak. I’m super sold on him. If only I could win him over with my baking. But then, Kenny might not like that.
Anyway, I recommend the show, and I recommend Hook. And I also highly encourage you to try these s’mores bars. They’re something special!
Instead of using straight up flour, I put a hefty dose of graham cracker crumbs into the dough to give it a more authentic s’more flavor. I wasn’t sure what would happen, quite frankly. But you know what? All’s well that ends well!
In order to add to the drama of the bars, I left the Hershey bar pieces whole and cut several large marshmallows (well, regular-sized, not mini) in half and pressed them into the dough. With a little more dough on top, I could almost imagine myself by a campfire. The only problem is, when I baked these, it was 15 degrees out. So no campfire yet!
These bars are made in one bowl without a mixer. And they come together really fast. The only challenge is waiting until they’re cool. Otherwise, chocolate and marshmallow melt all over you. Well, actually, that’s a good thing!
And you can eat them while watching Hook do his thing on Once Upon a Time. He’s more than satisfactory eye candy, and you should always have a good snack handy anyway. Besides, if you get a really good heat lamp into the bargain, you can pretend it’s actually s’mores weather. Sounds like heaven to me!
1 and 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoons vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 marshmallows, chopped in half
1 large Hershey bar, broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line an 8 x 8 pan with foil, leaving enough to overhang the sides, and coat in cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Take a larger bowl and mix the brown sugar, melted butter, eggs and vanilla until just blended. Add the dry ingredients gradually and mix until incorporated.
- Spread 3/4 of the batter carefully into the pan. Layer the chopped marshmallows evenly on top and place the Hershey bar pieces in between the marshmallows.
- Drop the remaining dough onto the top, spreading it out as much as possible.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the bars are golden and the middle is no longer jiggly.
- Cool completely. Cut into squares.