Do any of you feel like a trip to the grocery store is a vacation? Especially if you have kids and they’re not there?
You can wander up and down aisles, picking things up at leisure and putting them down. You can try free samples. You can hunt for new products. And if there’s a Starbucks in the store, you can do it all with a lovely hot cup of beverage.
When I see new products, or even better, limited edition products, I snap them up. It’s hard to resist. Who doesn’t buy pumpkin spice M & Ms when they’re only out for a short while? Who doesn’t buy Pillsbury refrigerated cookie dough in pumpkin flavor with cheesecake chips?
Not me, I can tell ya. I buy it all. And then I bring it home, stare at it, and wonder what I can bake with it. And half the time, the answer is magic bars.
Such was the case this time around. I saw the pumpkin cookie dough and threw it in the cart without even hesitating. Same with the M & Ms. My husband looked at me as we were checking out and said, “Really?” To which I replied with the appropriate amount of both haughty indignation and condescension, “I’m. A. Baking. Blogger.”
Some people. Really. Sorry, babes. I love you!
Anyway, I patted the dough (with some help from a baking helper, a.k.a. my friend’s third-grader) into the bottom of the pan. We topped it with chopped pecans, white chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, and those pumpkin spice M & Ms. Which, bizarrely, seem to taste exactly like regular M & Ms. And then we poured condensed milk on top.
The result was delightful. Chocolatey and cinnamony and pumpkiny. All of that. In a bar. In a very short space of time. Pumpkin lovers, this one is for you!
Whenever you see cool seasonal products on your grocery store runs, snatch them up! Life is too short to hesitate. Even if you’re not a baking blogger.
1 package Pillsbury refrigerated pumpkin cookie dough
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup Pumpkin Spice M & Ms
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup cinnamon chips (Hershey brand)
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk (I used fat-free)
- Preheat the oven to 350. Coat a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Flatten the cookie dough rounds out and press into the bottom of the pan. You will have to press them very thinly for the dough to cover the whole surface.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- In the following order, sprinkle the ingredients evenly over the surface: pecans, M & Ms, and both kinds of chips. Pour the condensed milk over the top, covering the entire area.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container.