You know how people say that chocolate is a great substitute for, you know, human contact? Ahem. Wink.
They need to try this cappuccino mousse. Because if anything will get your dopamine flowing and trigger a happy moment, this is it. Honestly, this mousse is pure wow. And it’s easy.
When we were kids, my brother loved mousse. My mom would make it when he behaved, which wasn’t too often. As a result, the rest of us got kind of annoyed. I mean, we behaved nicely all the time, but we never got mousse. Why was the pain in the neck being rewarded?
Until I got older, mousse to me was about being good. As an adult, I’m happy to report that it’s earned its proper place as an ultimate indulgence, the kind of treat you make when you have a few minutes of silence, a spoon, and a really comfy pair of yoga pants.
What makes this mousse such a standout is that it has a strong mocha punch. You can skip your coffee, or just prepare yourself for the joy of having it in dessert. Once the coffee and chocolate chips are melted together, they get folded into whipped cream. It’s heaven.
Now, I used real cream for this because Valentine’s Day is coming up, and Cool Whip doesn’t really float my romantic boat. But my guess is that this would work, though not as decadently, with Cool Whip.
Once the mousse is done it sets quickly, so be ready to spoon it into any glasses you desire. I put some of mine into cute to-go coffee cups to share with friends, and the rest got stored in my fridge in glass tumblers for maybe two hours before people found and ate it all.
Chocolate and coffee are amazing, and even better in mousse. Whether you’re single or attached this Valentine’s, well-behaved or not, get that happy moment going!
- Dissolve the instant coffee in the cold water.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the coffee and the chocolate chips. Heat at 30-second intervals, stirring each time, until everything is melted and smooth. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Do not overdo it!
- Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the heavy cream until a uniform color (no streaks!) appears.
- Spoon the mousse into glasses or cups. It will set on its own.
- If not serving immediately, store in the refrigerator.